Pole-arm - Dual Weild

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Krivoklat

Pole-arm - Dual Weild

Postby Krivoklat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:01 pm

What yall think about granting the pole-arm type weapons access to dual-wield in the same way as double-sided weapons...

... the 'offhand' weapon's damage would be bludgeoning...

and 'offhand' attack, maybe for balance, is just a little bit less... but... counts as a Light Weapon were equipped in the off hand.

The combined damage of all the weapons could be capped at 14.

Halbard, which is normally d10, would become d10 main attack, d4 (bludgeoning) offhand

Spear, which is normally d8 would become d8 main attack, d6 (bludgeoning) offhand

Quarterstaff, which is normally d6, would be the only 'balanced' of the lot, becoming d6 main attack, d6 offhand, and the fact it does a smidge less damage, the use of the quarterstaff grants a +1AC Dodge Bonus

All of the above would be accessibly only by the presence of the Dual Wield and Ambidexterity feats. --this is a 2 feat investment... and doesn't grant any bonus that wouldn't already be present by the use of two physical weapons anyway... with the exception of the Quarterstaff, which grants the wielder the small bonus to AC... but since the weapon itself is already not great (d6 x2/20) compared to something like dual wielding short swords (d6 x2/19-20)

Maybe even some sort of tie in with the Quarterstaff and the MONK class... where if you are a MONK, and wear Light or No Armor, the Quarterstaff gets treated just like if the Monk were to dual-wield KAMAs
Zokaan (Dr); Sevin (Ra) ; Mercuria (Pa) ; Mister Web (Ro): Kodiak (SC)

Unit of beauty required to launch 1 ship = 1 millihelen

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Re: Pole-arm - Dual Weild

Postby Loreweaver » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:14 am

It's a nice idea and dual-weapons are distinctly lacking in the non-exotic weapon categories. There are some technical challenges, like making main and off hand attacks deal different damage types, or being able to swap between dualwield and greatweapon mode using the same weapon, which I'm not sure we can circumvent. My other concern is that these weapons all have a role in their current form.

The spear and quarterstaff are the only large weapons available with the Simple proficiency, covering different damage types. We've already increased quarterstaff damage to d8 to bring it in line with the other weapon choices. I wouldn't want to steal away these options because the advantages of having a large weapon are greater than the advantages of having a dual-weapon - you can come close to the latter by dual-wielding two smaller weapons like sickles or maces, but you have no two-hander alternatives.

The halberd's also got its own place as the only large pierce/slash weapon (aside from the exotic scythe). While it is less critical because there are many more large martial weapons to choose between and so it could be converted, it would need to have worse stats than the exotic weapons. A 15 lbs martial weapon doing d10/d4 20x3 slashing/piercing/bludgeoning damage is too strong compared to a 25 lbs exotic one doing d8/d8 20x3 slashing. A more realistic profile would be something like d8/d4 20x3 pierce/slash, and that's still a tad on the strong side.

Krivoklat

Postby Krivoklat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:36 am

Loreweaver wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:14 am
I wouldn't want to steal away these options because the advantages of having a large weapon are greater than the advantages of having a dual-weapon - you can come close to the latter by dual-wielding two smaller weapons like sickles or maces, but you have no two-hander alternatives.
I think the proper way to do it would be to make it a toggle. So that if you do not possess the Dual Wield/Ambidexterity feats you are not locked into the penalties for not having them.... but if you did a console command like @dualWield it would switch to unlock the dual-wield option, and apply the appropriate Attack penalty, etc..

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Postby Loreweaver » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:08 am

I think that'd be the cleanest way too, yes. Unfortunately I don't think that's technically possible, although you never know with NWNX.

Krivoklat

Postby Krivoklat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:04 pm

Yeah Not sure.. i know on the Arelith Server, they figured out a way to make a toggle to turn a bastard sword into a two-handed weapon, gaining the two-handed bonus and disabling shield while active. Maybe there's a way to do that for dual-wield for polearms.