Tyria Nailuin

For character backgrounds and journals.
Intyalle

Tyria Nailuin

Postby Intyalle » Wed May 19, 2021 12:28 am

tyria.png
tyria.png (189.23 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Before the Rotting Man came, Tyria served the druid circle in Rawlinswood. Her role was largely that of scout and hunter, providing the circle with food, pelts, materials and herbs.

Originally born in an Elven city, Tyria has always been uncomfortable among crowds, and longed to answer the call of nature's quiet space. Thus, when close childhood friend Lynarie announced her intentions to leave the city to find a druid circle to train with, Tyria jumped at the chance to accompany her. Nor was she the only one, as their friend Morander also chose to join their number.

Tyria warmed quickly to life with the circle, with the freedom to set more comfortable boundaries for personal space. Friction formed between herself and Morander as they vied for Lynarie's attentions, eventually pushing Tyria to extend her forays into the forest steadily further, feeling unable to compete with her much more gregarious friend.

The arrival of the Rotting Man and the dangers he brought did little to dissaude her from these longer routes, especially as pressure to stockpile food and scout enemy camps grew apace with the vicious war of attrition. Many of the circle began to leave for the neighbouring Forest of Lethyr, but it was near impossible to tell who or how many made it to the end of the journey alive.

When she returned home to find that Lynarie and Morander had already left on just one such exodus, Tyria immediately set out herself, despite her exhaustion. In her haste, she was careless, and was discovered by one of the Talontar Blightlords and his various blightspawned minions. While she managed to escape - alive, but greviously wounded - the Blightlord pursued her relentlessly. Knowing she could not lead him directly to her friends, she set out instead in a completely different direction.

While the Blightlord himself eventually gave up his chase, the occasional harrying blightspawn or lesser demon of Talona was enough to keep Tyria on her path away from the forests long enough that she found herself setting foot in Impiltur.

Tired to the bone and unsure whether or not she is still watched, she readies herself to find new purpose in this land. It will be a long time before Tyria is strong enough to wade back into a warzone.
Attachments
tyria.7z
(252.6 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by Intyalle on Wed May 19, 2021 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Intyalle

Re: Tyria Nailuin

Postby Intyalle » Wed May 19, 2021 12:30 am

I hate cities so badly. Found an abandoned hat shop while... very thoroughly lost among the back alleys of this place. Sarshel.
Inside a crazy woman had taken residence and turned a great many people into corpses. It is clear she ws trying to summon something, though I know not what.
Her papers were largely a mess, but I did find one among them of note. It has enough blood and pain soaked in that I am loathe to move it, so I shall merely transcribe it here
"Amelia my dear child, I remind you that you do have your tasks. Sandro tells me that you waste your time with that dangerous 'experiment' of yours.
Materials you recovered from those people are interesting, but their goals, in the end, are different than ours. So, salt, my sweety.
Salt and meat, that is what we deal with, for now. Not the fell magick. Be a good girl and help Sandro.
Do not make me talk to you in person. With love, W."
There is still a locked door upstairs that I could not get past. More details may lie within.
The note suggests that someone in this city *is* dealing in fell magicks... I will need to be vigilant for that. They could well be more lackeys of Talona or the Rotting Man.
And this "W" does not sound averse on principles. Sandro... the name rings a bell. Isn't that the fishmonger?

Intyalle

Postby Intyalle » Wed May 19, 2021 12:30 am

I have met up with holy knight Rannie Marrinson and fellow elf Tindra Amalle.
We whittled down the numbers within a cave of trolls, though the system extended further than we could reasonably press on.
On the way back to Sarshel, we also investigated a fire-ruined house. In the cellar, we found a path to a grisly altar and many undead.
There were far fewer clues in this place of foul worship, however, so it is impossible to tell if it is linked to my prior encounter.
I have shared my findings with my current companions, who seem much concerned.

Intyalle

Postby Intyalle » Wed May 19, 2021 12:31 am

I got knocked out by a shitty stray cat that *really* did not want to be friends. I just tried to pet it! Next thing I knew, I was wrapped in a furry facehugger of needles and pain.
*And then*, to add insult to injury, when I went to rest I ended up locked inside my inn room with a broken key.
I had to bang on the door and yell for an hour before I was heard past the din and freed.

Intyalle

Postby Intyalle » Wed May 19, 2021 12:32 am

On my way out of town, I was accosted by a frankly alarming dwarf called "Kazduin". He threatened to kill me if I didn't hunt with him! And now he's chasing me down!

Intyalle

Postby Intyalle » Wed May 19, 2021 12:34 am

Alright... retracing my steps on this one will take a time, so here goes
I found an abandoned house near the northern farms of Sarshel as I was trekking through the land.
While the door was firmly locked, closer inspection revealed an accessible cellar window and... scritching sounds. The cellar was overrun by spiders.
The cellar window had a very convenient ladder lined up against it, and the far wall had an opening, broken through the wall by the looks.
This seems to have been the end destination, not the start.

Squeezing through the hole, I found a reasonably well-constructed tunnel on the other side, if very damp. A shallow pool of water accumulated along the bottom, making any tracking impossible, so I know not who may have come this way.
The room on the other side had only a few webs of unusual size, and signs of humanoid habitation.
A rotting corpse was hidden in the corner, tangled in the webbing. It was not a spider that granted this man's end, however; the corpse showed obvious signs of torture.
A drawing I found seems to have something to do with the construction of the tunnel I passed through, but I could understand little of its details.
The room above was, again, infested by spiders despite also showing signs of humanoid habitation. A trail of old blood passed through both rooms, to end at the rotting corpse.
Tortured elsewhere and then dumped, perhaps?
On the upper level, I found broken window leading out onto the wall surrounding the Sarshel docks.

Finally, I found a note at this scene as well. While I have it in my possession now, I shall also transcribe it here in the name of thoroughness.
"Pzhemislav, keep an eye on the other two. R will need these crates. Take care not to be spotted by those peasants and carry the goods in during the night.
We'll buy them off soon enough. If you catch someone leaving that barn, try to catch them. We'll need at least one of them buggers for interrogation.
And, no matter what, don't mess with that red crate. It's hers, and you know what happened to Urosh."

No indication whether this ties back to Amelia either, though there is an unnamed 'her'.
Several more names and another initial to investigate, though. I have no clue who any of them are, and don't know how to find a more substantive lead without mingling in the city.
This route suggests 'that barn' is likely outside the city, however, so I can at least attempt to track that down.

Intyalle

Postby Intyalle » Wed May 19, 2021 12:34 am

I forgot to note that I also found a key near the corpse of someone who *was* eaten by spiders, in the farmhouse cellar.
I do not know what it is for, but I shall hold on to it in any case.
I will need to go back to the house Amelia was in at some point, to try it on the locked door there. That would indicate a solid connection.

Intyalle

Postby Intyalle » Wed May 19, 2021 12:35 am

Following the lead in the note regarding a barn, I discovered that the key I found belonged, in fact, to a barn not far from the abandoned farmhouse.
Within, I found a hidden trapdoor leading down to some kind of cave system converted into a smuggler dock. There was a raft tied up on an underground river
Their numbers proved to great for me to overcome, alone and insufficiently prepared. I was forced to retreat.

Intyalle

Postby Intyalle » Wed May 19, 2021 12:36 am

In the interests of seeking out more of this place - and of getting away from that damnable Sarshel - I have decided to journey to Vlasta.
On the way there, I found a cemetery. With the vague recollection of rumours of undead or hauntings floating around regarding... one of the nearby cemeteries, I cautiously entered the mausoleum.
The rumours proved overblown, restricted to the night hours or about another cemetery altogether, as I found naught within.
I did spot a discreet secret passage, but it lead only into a room with a table, a few chairs and a couple of crates.
I cannot for the life of me divine the purpose of this room. I found no recent tracks, and not a single item was left behind anywhere in the room.
It has served well as a spot to sit and update this journal, in any case. Confused but unconcerned, I shall return to my trek. It is good to be in touch with the land, outside of stone mazes.

Intyalle

Postby Intyalle » Wed May 19, 2021 12:37 am

A scout I passed on my way here told me this road was patrolled by the guard, but it seems this is the case no longer.
I came upon one of their towers, silent and with the door swinging in the wind, open.
A thorough inspection within shows that treason was the likely cause for the fall of this tower.
Whoever was responsible, this tower was picked quite clean. All I found was a single discarded piece of the commander's notes.
It indicates that the assailants may have been hiding in the ruins to the east prior to the attack, but little enough else.