Guided by Starlight - Memoirs of Eldaereth Sharantar

For character backgrounds and journals.
Aethereal
Administrator, Builder, DM

Re: Guided by Starlight - Memoirs of Eldaereth Sharantar

Postby Aethereal » Fri May 06, 2022 7:24 pm

Though I have long since learned to temper attachments to those I encounter in my journeys, I do find that I miss the original Stalwart Guard ever so slightly. Whilst there are many travellers and visitors to the realm, adventurers, mercenaries, and otherwise, they do not quite meet up with the potential of that original company. There was unity there, there was a sense of communal spirit, of fostering and assisting others and without truly seeking anything in return – though, it must be said, the reward for **Talia and Sal** was to further enable their profession and the significant wealth it provides.

It is in light of recognising that I shall be spending a few decades or so at least in this Forgotten Kingdom that I deem it justified to establish greater connections and relations with those who either call it home or are seeking to. Whilst the Council of Twelve and the Crown have become both sponsors and beneficiaries of my work, securing strong ties with the governance with great ongoing potential and that of the future, I do find there is less consistency outside of this domain. Whilst of course the Loremaster Amanuensis is both an ally and colleague, and the very establishment of the House of Many Tomes is a home away from home, I yet feel I have not been able to further the interest of Songhall. There is great potential that lies dormant in my very first report, but I have let it slumber unattended and have yet to witness the Amaunatori revelations.

Forsooth, it is as the Warsword Werther surmises, I have allowed myself to be buried beneath the paperwork. Beneath the bureaucracy – and the more I examine my circumstances, the more I must accept that I have wrought this upon myself unnecessarily and in a manner that has come to stand in the way of my true work. Thus I have decided I shall simply defer the bureaucracy to the bureaucrats and employ more clerks to handle such matters as Registration. Instead I shall take a less formal approach personally, much as I had done with the Warsword’s apprentice, Finch.

I can gladly say that the processes I’ve undertaken have provided lessons which shall be implemented as I move forward in my role as the Chancellor. It was never about bureaucracy as much as it was to strategise and secure the future and best outcomes for this land, and the great gemstone it has kept hidden here, forgotten by so many, yet remembered by those who know. No, all in all, I have to confess, this was the plan all along. I am merely moving forward to the next stage.

Having cut my teeth, so to speak, in the realm’s politics, I have established myself and proven myself. Now, I can wield that authority without needing to actually wield it. Much like the wise practice of the Art, really. And therein lies the rub. I still feel on the verge of realising a nascent power and potential beyond the reach of pure wizardry alone, an aspect of both my heritage and potentially that which drew the attention of the planes to these lands across the course of time. Similar in a way to Silvyna’s search, but I believe that in both of our cases, the power has always lied within, not without. It is a matter of tapping into the right stimuli.

It is a shame, truly, that I cannot record progress in this particular line of enquiry despite making it such a crucial pursuit in the conclusion of my last entry. My work has distracted me long enough, so much so I am not so well appraised of even those around me anymore, besides, perhaps, Amira. Mattias Barthamy for example has taken on an epithet, shrouded himself away from – well, it’s certainly not clear to me what it might be, though perhaps it is a statement of what happens to a simple commoner who finds riches beyond their wildest dreams, at the expense of bearing witness to horrors equally beyond any nightmare they could imagine; they go a little mad. Lose a piece of their mind and try to forget it all by becoming something else. Though I can’t say for sure, I can only suppose Hashard ought to know more given how close the pair seemed to have been. Humans change so quickly though and even with my significant exposure; it remains a strange and at times amusing phenomenon.

Still there are some things to look forward to. Amira has an auction planned, certainly even somewhat of a hoard of artifacts set up for it. It should prove to be quite the event, and with the venue slated as the Swordhall through my own sponsorship it will be in a positive direction towards the future realisation of the establishment’s full potential. So, I say, there is no point in missing what could have been – though perhaps I’d be wise not to forget that I may have allies abroad in the land of Sembia biding their time yet. Despite her worship, and her deviations, it must be said at least that Talia is tel’quessir and besides that a most formidable sort. In time enough perhaps there will be time enough for a reunion. Though to what end, I cannot yet say. I’m simply of the opinion that contacts are important; one can never know when they might have need of another’s expertise or talents.