Failures

For character backgrounds and journals.
blatob
Builder

Failures

Postby blatob » Wed May 04, 2022 4:49 pm

"What you got there, Nugget?"
Completely engrossed by something held in her cupped hands, she toddles to him through the grass...

"Mard!"
... As cold, acidic water engulfs him, soothing the burns and aches. It is so soft, like feathered bed, and all smells of moss and wood and he doesn't wish to move. But something tugs on him, pulling him away.
"Mard!"
As he's pulled, he starts to push up, rising, sitting in the shallows, water pouring down from his helmet and armour. Unable to see for the brief moment, as the sunlight blinds him, he tries to make sense of the people around him... Jerek, that's the closest one, fancy armour... Knight to booth... Worried blonde... Kelda... Aye, dark haired... It is Fenneken, she looks at him with raised brows.
Using the shield he gets up - water barely reaches his knees.
"Aye. Tis me, right. Good... Fucking hells... ", there is still smoldering carcass, just by the water, stinking up the air. Takes so much to kill a troll.
"Heee! See! Deverminised the fucker right. Well done!" Dark haired one smirks at his words.

That is the last what remains with him as wakes, startled, for few moments before it looses its meaning and he forgets about it. Her side of the bed is empty, and he knows that the sheets are cold. He sways on his feet as the darkness fades in shades of gray. The sun is already pouring trough the eastern windows, but the house is empty and silent.

Checking the hitch rail outside just confirms what he already knows. Both horses are gone.

Wet with dew, he pulls a bucket from the well and empties it over his head. That tea she has given him last night... Lavender and last year's linden... And something else in his mouth. Bitter.

That girl...

All the arguing, and pleading, and then she still goes alone.
He moves quickly, because he is sure there's not much time; she must have planned this thoroughly. Two shirts, socks, underwear, that's is all in his backpack... Of course, she has cut the straps.

Smart girl.

He empties backpack's content in the sack. Gets the clothes on, sword, dagger... Then he sees letter on the low table by her reading couch, just a piece of paper, folded and then sealed with candlewax. He holds it in his hands, but leaves it where he's found it. Good, money, right, gems, right... All else can be bought. Armour is the last. It will be some hauling to Sarshel, but perhaps he can get the ride on some farmer's wagon... They should be bringing the food to the city...

Of course, she has cut the straps on the armour. Every single one.

He cannot hold back the laughter.

That smart, stubborn girl will be the death of me.

blatob
Builder

Re: Failures

Postby blatob » Thu May 05, 2022 6:29 am

"I have the words right in my head. But when I say them they all come out wrong."

He never though he would be missed by anyone but Allie. Someone who would call him a friend...Someone who would like him, and not his sword. And so many years. Missed opportunities that make up life. It was always like that.
The gift rests in the leather pouch hanging around his neck. Riding down the hill he turns back and spares one more look. The house on the hill is brightly lit. Against one of the windows he sees silhouette of a woman.

blatob
Builder

Re: Failures

Postby blatob » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:38 pm

"Oh, yeah, That's her. She left twelve days ago."
Twelve days behind her because of the slow ship. Traveling to Lyrabar, then finding another one to bring him to their original destination.
"Are you sure?"
"Of course", man pockets the coins. " She left the impression, lets say."
He stares at the innkeeper until the man points to his left.
"Harath there, he's a regular and he has a thing for red hairs", he points at man on the far table, sitting with several others, not touching the mug in front of him. His right arm is in the sling and face is bruised.
" He tried to... charm her. His brother says that he still can't talk properly."
" I see... Most unfortunate."
"Not really. Still, Claw's safe inn, we just can't have such things here. So, how long?"
" One night. I leave on the morn." There's a caravan leaving by the south gate. Traveling alone is faster, but south of the border route is dangerous. He was told that there will be another civil war in Innarlith.