Aleira's correspondence

ljuslek

Aleira's correspondence

Postby ljuslek » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:17 am

The following letter is delivered by hand to the estates of Rilwor Slywenn, Ashkyr Relindar and Sulyim Nassour. The translucent and pale yellow seal of pine-pitch that keeps each folded parchment together bears the impression of an acorn. As said sigil is broken, the readers would find the words are carried by a rigid script; the hand of someone who has received a decent education but perhaps does not relish the act of writing.

To the attention of Rilwor Slywenn of Whitsome Bridge, Ashkyr Relindar of Drumaire manor and Sulyim Nassour of Oldfeld, lords of Outentown all.

Many are the moons I have spent ranging the lands around the thaedar that knows the grace of your families rule. I range them with a goal two-fold; to aid the folk who work the soil and to keep the sanctity of the woodland that surrounds fields that in times different from these ones dark and dreary lie verdant and rich with abundance. Let it be known that this duty is one I carry out willingly and gladly. To aid the people live in harmony and balance with the land even in times as difficult as these is a rare honour for those who walk my path.

There are however matters I would dearly wish to bring to your attention, and indeed, find your counsel upon.

First and foremost among my concerns is the dwindling population of squirrel, pheasant, field-mice, and swans. Most of these are, as I am sure you know, hunted freely by those who keep their homesteads and pay taxes within your domain. You may ask what concern of yours the lives of field-mice and squirrels are, but inquire with any farmer wizened through experience and he shall make plain that even these seemingly insignificant beings play a role in ensuring a bountiful harvest and woodland strong and hearty. It is my humble plea that a compromise may be found, one to allow the populations whose numbers dwindle to find respite until the yoke of winter lifts from the land. Long and proud are the traditions that speak of what right of game belongs to whom. But to carry oneself with pride and to remember tradition is difficult when crops do not grow to lend the bodies strength. I do not write this to threaten or to warn, but rather to remind you that to recover from this long winter will be a matter just as trying as enduring it; even the brightest and most resplendent of mornings shines light upon fresh troubles. An ease of the restrictions upon game would also, I believe, lessen the incentive of your people to lower themselves enough to resort to poaching in the light of their hunger.

Second among my concerns is one that is painful to confess to, I am not enough. With this insight at the fore of mind, it is my decision to seek those among your populace who are willing and able to do what I do, care as I do for Outentown's reaches and people. With hearts, minds and bows true. Two young I seek, one woman and one man. I wish not to draw their prayers away from the grace of The Three; but to open their eyes and ears to all that the land might tell those who have learned well to watch and listen. With or without your leave I will seek those willing to learn, not out of disrespect for your authority, but out of faith and fealty to my own duties. The winter of the true cycle is upon the land again, and my two feet and hands will not be enough to carry out all what needs must.

Third I wish to write not of a concern, but of what might be a light held aloft in this dreary winter. I have recently come into contact with one Lady Laakkonen and her retinue; it is my advise that the favors of this woman are called upon as and when they are needed. For she shows readily good intent and desire to ease the troubles that plague Impiltur and her people.

With wishes of sure step and fair trail,

Aleira Nemesk

Obsidian Sea

Re: Aleira's correspondence

Postby Obsidian Sea » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:43 am

Ranger Nemesk,

Word of your diligence in the name of our thaedar has reached my home on many days in these additional months of winter that Impiltur has suffered. To receive this direct correspondence, and know your intention, gratifies the wishes of The Vigilant One. When upon the village's western road we had sought to construct a watchpost from which the Half-Orc, Ornak Chrelteff, would keep the village's security assured, was it not you who worked as a scout and guardian for the labourers who toiled through the strain of the season? Is it not from your own pocket that the coin came to bounty our people with flour and other non-perishing foodstuffs two months before the day? And your tithing to Outentown is not limited to this sole account recorded; nor is your philanthropy to Outentown known only by this recounted deed. In preservation of parchment, not our favour, do we refrain from listing the deeds of note you have committed on Outentown's behalf.

The village is made happier by your presence: my watchman, the Half-Orc, speaks also of your achievements within the community, and as such I have no cause to doubt the wisdom nor intent of your letter. By the reckoning of my house - if only by mine - I shall endorse the training of two of the village's people with the supply of bows, armour, and a healthy quiver, yet they must wish to accept the duty: I will not force duty upon a man who already has one to his family, and to his own safety. Though the houses protect the thaedar with sentinels and guards, we have little doubt that the search further afield into the untamed wilderness will bring perils unrecorded for you and for them. Furthermore, if more than one man would pledge his body to the cause, then take two men, and spare the women of the hardship that may follow, for when their duty comes to bear children (if they are not already sustenance to a family), they must forsake the training you will have given them to fulfill the duty of their sex, and so the task to train must again, inevitably, be undertaken. This is my house's counsel, should you uphold your word and persist in this duty to the land, and to our thaedar.

I will be kept abreast - as will all the lords - of how this deed proceeds, but you act as Helm would have one act, and so therefore how I would see a person act, to ensure protection and continuance for the people of Outentown. In this deed, like all committed before it, you have the heed of my house.

Of this lady's retinue and her intent my house has not been broached. If their stay in Outentown is frequent, and their purpose heavily to involve our thaedar, then soon the houses will have to take note of it, and when wisdom and the need for action deems it diligent to do so, we will extend the offer for their pledged support, and welcome the prosperity that co-operation can bring.

Helm guide you,

The scribed dictations of the most noble Lord Sulyim Nassour himself, and sealed in the same fashion

27th Uktar; The Rotting
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

Obsidian Sea

Postby Obsidian Sea » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:52 am

Ranger Nemesk,

The loggers report trouble near the thaedar. My sentinel has been informed by the loggers and left instruction to deal with the matter by the seneschal. A scene of Goblin blood and limbs has been painted in the copses upon the village's northwestern edge where the Laviguer Road angles for Laviguer proper. The trouble is carried out in such a stealth of violence that it was not even to be known by other defenders of the thaedar. I will not tolerate the mischief of Goblins to undermine the security of my lands nor the people within. The work is clumsy. My seneschal last present in the area to return with the news to my estate mistrusts the fashion of this Goblin threat. I care only for that it is a threat, and therefore intolerable at the foot of the thaedar. Crass developments in the fashion of Goblin butchery shall not steer me from seeing the threat banished from the threshold of Outentown.

The matter shall be addressed by my sentinel, though if you know tracks or whereabouts for him to turn his blade then turn your services to the thaedar towards guiding him in that duty. Nevermind his race, he is by me appointed and lawful to my will, and as such he warrants your trust in the trouble afoot. More importantly, see to it that those willing for service as Rangers are trained in good time. I will not let tardiness give power to Goblinoids. For two willing men supply shall be provided by my estate. May they grow taller and more honourable in bearing yet in dutiful role of service to their kinsmen.

Helm guide you,

The scribed dictations of the most noble Lord Sulyim Nassour himself, and sealed in the same fashion

15th Tarsakh; The Claw of the Storms
Heomar Bloodstone

Previous Characters
Aryen Caladras
Tristan Thalavar
Nathaniel Askovar
Elizabeth van der Lowe

ljuslek

Postby ljuslek » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 pm

A response whose parchment is concealed within a folded and sealed sheet of birch bark finds the hands of Lord Sulyim Nassour.
The hand in which it is written is rigid and correct, telling of an educated but unenthusiastic hand. The seal of birch tar smells still slightly acrid with smoke.

Lord Sulyim Nassour of Oldfeld,

For many moons has this unrest been in the making, it is no wonder that the vile mischief and greed of goblinkin shines through together with the frail light of long awaited spring.

I will of course willingly and readily spring into action to safeguard the land your rule rightfully claims, but it is my duty to the folk of the thaedar you govern to urge caution and restraint, even after this imminent threat is beaten back and confined once more to squalid burrows and winding tunnels. I pen these words perhaps needlessly to you, but spring, even in all it's splendour and strength is a delicate time, even more so now that the land feels the warmth of a true cycle following a winter most long and arduous. To see the woodlands or the meadows worked too hard will be to poke a hornets nest, no sweetness of honey or prosperity to be gained, only strife and dearth to be reaped in future near or far. Wood to fuel fires or to provide materials for construction can in the interim be reclaimed from several seemingly abandoned properties and shacks near and within the thaedar itself.

For the training and tutelage of your folk to act as wardens of the land I have advised those willing to seek the wisdom of your eyes for selection. I have urged those few women who have shown interest to claim their right to serve you and their home like their brothers do. Once again these penned words may seem to your eyes needless, but the watchfulness of the mother is different from that of the father. Just as The Vigilant One watches with unsleeping eye to guard his flock, so does the Great Mother watch over hers with warmth and compassion. That two manners of vigilance shall serve better than one is a wisdom I hope will find you during your deliberations. Whatever your decision, whomever you and your house deem as worthy candidates, see them sent to the grave keeper's cottage overlooking the bridge over the river Mal. It is there my lessons will begin.

With wishes of sure step and fair trail,

Aleira Nemesk.

ljuslek

Silver for the waves

Postby ljuslek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 pm

A letter enclosed in a folded sheet of birch bark is found by Paric of Valkur as he comes to preside over morning service.
Before the fishermen set out for the day. The missive is weighed with seven coins of silver and a handful of copper ones stacked beside.

Paric of Valkur,

Rare is it that an acorn finds itself carried towards the sea, but so is my lot this morning, to see first sunlight glitter over your waves. It is a weight on my heart however, that I come bearing vague yet grave portent, but needs must.

My trail has seen me cross paths with one who prays to The Bitch Queen, one who has entreated her to brew up storm. I find comfort, as I imagine you will, in the fact that this dark plea was not spoken fully; I found opportunity to interlope. Precaution however ordains that I leave my missive accompanied by coins of silver. Silver to ensure that those who make their living by the sea might leave their boats and punts ashore for the days that are to follow this one; to find shelter from a storm that might or mightn't come.

If ever my aid is needed, seek me in Outentown.

With wishes of fair trail and sure step,

Aleira Nemesk

Spoiler:
OOC: 368 cp was tithed to Paric of Valkur to cover above mentioned silver and copper coins.