Spell Research

For reporting various bugs found in the module.
Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Spell Research

Postby Loreweaver » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am

Author: Highlander [ Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:41 pm ]
Post subject: Spell Research

I gave this a try, having a sufficient supply of enchantment crystals, and while I lost some crystals (for fundamental research at normal pace) I still got a message saying research was unsuccesful as I did not have the required components. The same thing happened with transmutation.

Author: Highlander [ Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:44 pm ]
Post subject: Re: Spell Research

Bumping, not (so far) for bug reporting, but for progress; I started spell research in illusion today, fundamental research at normal pace, which took 2 illusion crystals (not the crude ones) and 500cp. Will post results here, but thanks to the team for their work on the system.

Author: Highlander [ Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:56 pm ]

Spell research marked as completed today (didnt log in yesterday however), and Lori received 230cp back, but no scroll.

Author: Vogelens [ Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:58 pm ]

When I tried Spell Research with Gwendolynn, it took the crystals for spell research (3 of the small ones, which it said it needed, for anbjuration) but it took no money. Saying I did not have the right components.

Gwendolyn did have more than enough money, after the first failure I tried it with 2 stacks of 5 silver (Which it said was needed) in both the coinbag and outside, but the same failure was here. I do have a screenshot, which I can post if needed.

Author: Highlander [ Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:19 pm ]

I am wondering if the lack of scroll is down to the fact that Lori's level 1 spellbook contains all the illusion spells available. So fundamental research then covers only level 1 spells, and advanced research level 2+, but don't have the components to test that out right now.

Author: Highlander [ Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:42 pm ]

Started advanced research in necromancy at normal rate in Songhall library (the Enchanted Emporium had a necromantic crystal for sale) at the initial outlay of 500cp and 3 crystals.

Author: Highlander [ Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:17 pm ]

Research completed, gained 300cp and a necromancy crystal back; still no scroll, and spell book was not full of all necromantic options for level 2.

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Re: Spell Research

Postby Loreweaver » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:11 am

Author: Highlander [ Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:57 am ]
Post subject: Wizard spell research

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just a reflection of me not having the right components to use, and I won't be available to test this further until this evening. When initiating basic research, I was losing a crude crystal component while also receiving a message that I didn't have the necessary components - if this is a reflection that the system needs higher quality reagents then fine, but it's also unclear what components are required when you undertake the research - for example the comprehensive research of basic magic brings up a message that "2x component and 5cp required" without stating what the component is.

Apologies for not being more thorough - if someone else with a wizard has time before tonight to have a look at the research system, then that might be helpful, otherwise I'll have a closer look later on.

Author: Loreweaver [ Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:30 pm ]
Post subject: Re: Wizard spell research

It's a bit dodgy at the moment, yes. Sometimes it displays components correctly, other times it does not but still starts the research and every now and then it blows up instead.

Author: Kilaana [ Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:03 pm ]

It's like wizardry, really. :D

Author: Highlander [ Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 pm ]

Success, I think!

I started fundamental research at normal pace in conjuration about 4 days ago. As well as reagent costs, this cost 510cp to initiate. The research was completed today, and I regained 345cp, and gained a scroll of acid fog, a 6th level spell. I wouldn't have expected fundamental research to end up with such a high level spell, but it is nice to see the system working, and while still needing time, effort and expence, isn't quite as expensive overall as it first seemed. Will get hold of more reagents and run another test asap.

Author: Loreweaver [ Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:00 pm ]

Acid fog, being spell number 0, is more likely a sign that something went wrong in the spell ID selection. Since it may be relevant, could you post your wizard's Conjuration spells please?

Author: Brindisium [ Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:50 pm ]

Quick, get that scroll back off Highlander before a conjure by zero error causes infinite acid rain.

Author: Highlander [ Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:56 am ]

Mine, all mine....!

Conjuration spells known are:
Acid Splash
Ray of Frost
Mage Armour
Grease
Summon Creature I, II and III

Author: 50 Words For Snow [ Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:49 pm ]

Oooh, my. I've only just noticed this, and want to disclaimer it in case my General Discussion post might otherwise have been seen as a premeditated scheme! :P

Author: Highlander [ Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:14 pm ]

Take 2..
12th September started basic, normal paced research in transmutation, cost 750cp plus the cost of 30 about spell crystals (90cp total); the research was started in the library at Songhall, don't know if that counts as a "mage" library for the purposes of research, but started it there anyway.
Today (19th) regained 345cp, and a scroll of...acid fog.