Feat Change

Moderator: Aethereal

OldGrouch
DM

Feat Change

Postby OldGrouch » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:34 am

Having had a few discussions with people more insightful than I into all the various mechanics, some more opportunities to test, and having run the maths a dozenth time, I'd like to change Ansryl's feat 'Spell Focus: Enchantment' to Combat Casting instead.

I generally have trouble finding the right spells and feats for sorcerers, as there are rarely enough (or too many, depending on interpretation) of a specific theme I'm going for available, and Ansryl was no exception. The initial plan was to focus on electricity, which has to do with my view on how his magic works, but there are never quite enough spells to settle on it fully, so I steered Ansryl's tendencies a little towards more mental magic as well, hence having picked that spell focus feat since at least it did something for him and the dozens of daze-spells he got to be semi-effective in battle.

The Combat Casting feat-change, given his current path on actually exploring and going on adventures with others actually makes sense thematically on its own, and mechanically it will enable him to find his way to High Mage, which will finally allow him to fully embrace that electricity-part of his magic. It will lock him out of 4th circle spells, but it has continuously bothered me that there is nothing electricity based there for him to fit the theme for which I've not found a better alternative, and 1 (or 2, not sure yet) level of HM will open a door that I can work with.

This is something I'd held off on before, due not not quite grasping to what extents the class would affect his magic, hence my initial decision against the PrC. Sorcerers take long enough to level as it is, so I didn't want to set him up for an unplayable nature, I nerf my PCs enough already. I'd prefer do this before level 6 (though in all honesty that's likely another few months from now given my general pace), as by that time I will want to move his story forward another step. He already met the spellcraft requirement for the PrC at his 5th level. Normally I could just use the 6th level feat, but if I'm unable to take Empower for that level there's very little left to work with as far as sorcerer/HM goes, so I'd rather not.

Krivoklat

Re: Feat Change

Postby Krivoklat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:08 am

Sounds fair. I approve this change.
Zokaan (Dr); Sevin (Ra) ; Mercuria (Pa) ; Mister Web (Ro): Kodiak (SC)

Unit of beauty required to launch 1 ship = 1 millihelen