Cardano Marl: Feat Changes (Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Cleave)

Moderator: Aethereal

SpiralBright

Cardano Marl: Feat Changes (Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Cleave)

Postby SpiralBright » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:56 pm

Cardano Marl was my third character I created on my second week on TER. I did read up some more on the wiki about builds and some changes, but I will admit I was not thorough enough to notice the link and the obvious statement on the front page where it says some weapons may have been changed. Therefore, this is my fault for not committing more of my time to researching changes and what not after growing to like TER.

I wish to request that Weapon Focus (Morningstar) and Weapon Specialization (Morningstar) be changed to Weapon Focus (Light Flail) and Weapon Specialization (Light Flail). I was not aware of the damage die change on the morningstar even though the information was accessible and clearly that weapon changes were present.

I also wish to change Cleave to Blindfighting. Whirlwind to a degree somewhat invalidates Cleave and Cleave drops off whenever I am up against large groups of enemies and most fall after I complete several rounds of Whirlwind. However, I do admit that both are situational in their own right and knowing when to use whirlwind and when to just attack one by one to proc Cleave may be something I will have to learn how to optimize.

Furthermore, I will admit that Cardano may be a considered a relatively "powerful" fighter by feats alone--whirlwind being the most noticeable. And that the weapon focus and specialization request to change up to a higher damage die weapon is for damage reasons only.

Cardano has since reached Level 8 after this post was made. I would also like to request that Improved Critical: Morningstar to be swapped over to Improved Critical: Light Flail to be in align with the previously mentioned requests.

I appreciate your consideration.
Ryldor Werther of Dilpur, Lord Helimbraun's Warsword
Hashard Kurant Vhelacleln, Triadic Priest of House Essldyr
Mill Marsby, poet and playwright.

Cardano Marl Sal Polani, Mercenary Fighter of The Stalwart Guard (Retired)

Entheogen
DM

Re: Cardano Marl: Feat Changes (Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Cleave)

Postby Entheogen » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:26 pm

The consensus of the staff is that Cardano Mal should not be allowed to change out 4 feats at level 8 for purely mechanical reasoning.

We understand this is one of your early characters however. If you would like to amend the request to only ask to replace Cleave for Blindfighting we will review such a request separately.
  • Entheo Genesthe - Retired, Swordhall Proprietor, Vassal of Swordcaptain Lady Rilaunyr
  • Varðr Sigurdsson - Martyr's Progeny, (eventually) Golden Lion, (eventually) Champion of Torm
  • Essuh Terik - Arcanist of Erudition, Meta-Mage, Arcane Crafter
  • Umbra - Thief, Scout-Informant, Assassin

SpiralBright

Re: Cardano Marl: Feat Changes (Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Cleave)

Postby SpiralBright » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:40 pm

I understand. Thank you for the consideration.

I wish to amend my request regarding the feat changes to only be about Cleave for Blindfighting.

Cardano has faced numerous enemies and challenges throughout his time in Impiltur and the most notable ones are wraiths and casters that are either concealed or can cast blindness/deafness, darkness and another sight disadvantaging spell(?). He has fought the wraith in the beached ship on an island, the undead martial-caster in the underground tomb, the greater wraith and wraiths in the ruins in the Easting Wilds: Broken Dreams, the wraiths in the mountain mines west of Vlasta, the cultist casters in the sewer, the cultist casters in the ruins with a dragon statue, and the wraith and undead martial-caster in the Vlastan bog ruin to name some examples. Since the wraiths are innately concealed, he fought them blind on multiple occasions without magical assistance to see them better. The cultist casters have either concealed themselves on occasion or have mainly spells that affect an area to hinder the use of sight. Outside of wraiths, undead martial-casters, and the cultist casters, there have been a few bugbear and hobgoblin casters that have used an area of effects that negatively affected his sight in combat. In addition, he has traveled and fought throughout the underground of Impiltur which could be considered pitch black darkness without the mechanical disadvantage of darkness/blindness due to his lack of low-light vision and darkvision.

Regarding the "loss" of Cleave, Cardano had trained with his morningstar to conserve and to add momentum and power in order to make several strikes against many enemies--the whirlwind ability. In a sense, the Cleave technique was using the last of his momentum and power to make a continuing strike against another enemy after defeating one. He has fought against waves of enemies where the Cleave technique had been executed over the duration of the fighting, and since the increasing amount of large and potentially overwhelming groups of enemies, has sought to refine the technique; it could be considered that the initial technique known as Cleave has "evolved" to become whirlwind due to his training and experience and that Cleave is "lost" a side effect of gaining greater control of using the momentum and power against multiple enemies instead of a singular target.
Ryldor Werther of Dilpur, Lord Helimbraun's Warsword
Hashard Kurant Vhelacleln, Triadic Priest of House Essldyr
Mill Marsby, poet and playwright.

Cardano Marl Sal Polani, Mercenary Fighter of The Stalwart Guard (Retired)

Aethereal
Administrator, Builder, DM

Postby Aethereal » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:22 pm

This request has been noted but due to current in-game circumstances it has been put on hold. Feel free to refresh the request when circumstances change.

Aethereal
Administrator, Builder, DM

Postby Aethereal » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:45 am

Retracted by player request, if the character is ever returned to play a new request will be made.