Silvyna: Disable Device -> Knowledge: History/Knowledge: Arcana

Moderator: Aethereal

Talisman
Builder

Silvyna: Disable Device -> Knowledge: History/Knowledge: Arcana

Postby Talisman » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:17 pm

Hi there,

I have a confession, for I have sinned. I made the purely mechanical decision to multi-class into rogue skills on the elven monk scholar because often enough (even to this day) the party needs someone with rogue skills. People need to play more rogues, I'm tellin' ya! But honestly this kind of thinking and planning into the building is sinful to the role-play! It's a shame to role-play the scholar, but then have less skill ranks in knowledge checks than the supposed street urchin.

Removing the sunk points into Disable would let me max out Knowledge: History and Knowledge: Arcana by level 8 as well as pick up some Local ranks (as she's studying something fairly local) so I can play the part a little better when the dice start rolling. To be honest, RP skill checks have become a lot more common than they used to be, which I think is fantastic, but I wasn't in that mode of thinking to build skills more for RP than mechanics until recently.

It is fair to say that as a level 7 character, Silv has used Disable Device multiple times to progress and accrue wealth, so I understand that may disqualify the LETO request and will live with it as my cross to bear if that is the decision. I have at least the last level to just dump everything into Knowledge: History in that situation.

Talisman
Builder

Re: Silvyna: Disable Device -> Knowledge: History/Knowledge: Arcana

Postby Talisman » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:26 pm

Also, while we're at it, Silv is bugged to have +1 DEX and needs -1 DEX to have the correct amount of ability points.

Krivoklat

Postby Krivoklat » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:21 pm

Talisman wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:17 pm
... honestly this kind of thinking and planning into the building is sinful to the role-play!

:mrgreen:
Zokaan (Dr); Sevin (Ra) ; Mercuria (Pa) ; Mister Web (Ro): Kodiak (SC)

Unit of beauty required to launch 1 ship = 1 millihelen

Entheogen
DM

Postby Entheogen » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:21 pm

The consensus of the staff at this time is that Silvyna should maintain at least 1 point into Disable Device as they don't simply forget skills and it may be that she has become rusty or unpracticed in that skill but will not completely forget it. The remaining skills may go into Knowledge skills for RP.

We shall also remove the bugged dex point.
  • Entheo Genesthe - Retired, Swordhall Proprietor, Vassal of Swordcaptain Lady Rilaunyr
  • Varðr Sigurdsson - Martyr's Progeny, (eventually) Golden Lion, (eventually) Champion of Torm
  • Essuh Terik - Arcanist of Erudition, Meta-Mage, Arcane Crafter
  • Umbra - Thief, Scout-Informant, Assassin

Talisman
Builder

Postby Talisman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:40 pm

Thanks for the reply! Three thoughts:

1. I'm totes happy with this compromise, regarding some of the other discussion points:

2. She is retaining some rogue skills with Escape Artist, a skill she'd likely hold onto and keep practicing.

3. Disable Device was likely less practiced over time as her reflexes, mental fortitude, and resistances improved with training, realizing she had new ways around the problem of traps and (perhaps masochistically) enjoying the challenge of triggering them without being caught in the blast!

OldGrouch
DM

Postby OldGrouch » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:53 am

Resolved.