Wildshape Movement Speeds

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Silver Snow

Wildshape Movement Speeds

Postby Silver Snow » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:19 pm

After getting my hands on both wildshapes and a horse for the first time, I've come to wonder about this issue. The bird wildshapes, especially ones like the falcon and eagle, should logically get a boost to movement speed equal to that of the horse's in game. Likewise with the cheetah form, and surely a few other very fast land animals. I don't see this being taken advantage of in combat, for the most part, and mostly used for getting around. Would it be an easy enough thing to implement?

Haven't gotten my hands on shifter forms yet, but I'm certain many would apply as well. It just seems that a bird or cheetah should be able to make the Vlasta-Sarshel trip no slower than a horse.

Feronius

Re: Wildshape Movement Speeds

Postby Feronius » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:40 pm

Birds make sense. They are probably not the most powerful forms either, so that would give them more utility.

I thought cheetahs only ran at full speed for short distances though, so a horse would get there much faster.
Lev Balakov | Radovan Kazac

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:38 pm

I was mostly thinking of it in terms of within dungeons. Cheetahs feel like they meander around at the pace of your average cow. Endurance and incorporating that argument is also sort of disingenuous, I think; when's the last time anyone actually was affected by the cold, or really played exhaustion from running around a lot or fighting hordes?

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Is it not that they move on a normal speed like any human PC does, but because of the size they look sluggish? I'd not be against some adjustments to movement speed, but what you don't want is a continuous haste effect on some of the wildshapes.

Next to that I think the roleplaying of effects of cold or fatigue is a completely unrelated topic, but I agree that CON is a very underplayed stat.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:12 pm

I think size might be part of it, but there are small forms that still feel very slow. Haste is a pretty dramatic increase, but a monk speed level increase or somesuch is I think appropriate for many of the forms. In return, maybe some of the forms can stand to be a little slower, such as things like the cow. Bears are plenty quick, but others on the list definitely are sluggish compared to the average human. There are also the flying forms like eagles/falcons that would very believably just be both very fast and enduring.

Silver Snow

Postby Silver Snow » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:08 pm

To clarify, the horse wildshape available to druids moves at regular human speed, and not at horse speed. Is there a way that this shape at least could somehow be replaced by the default horse variant? Not to mention the horrifying animation the thing has..