Reverse Chat Windos for Translated Languages

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Krivoklat

Reverse Chat Windos for Translated Languages

Postby Krivoklat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:50 pm

When using languages, the translation shows up inthe combat window, while the untranslated shows up in the chat window.. which makes it difficult to follow long conversations that involve looks and emotes, since they don't all fall in line.

Would it be possible to switch these, so that for anyone who can translate the language, the TRANSLATION shows up in the chat window, and the UNTRANSLATED shows up in the combat log.. while for those who do not know the language, only see the UNTRANLSATED in their chat.??
Zokaan (Dr); Sevin (Ra) ; Mercuria (Pa) ; Mister Web (Ro): Kodiak (SC)

Unit of beauty required to launch 1 ship = 1 millihelen

Krivoklat

Re: Reverse Chat Windos for Translated Languages

Postby Krivoklat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:36 am

the additional benefits:
Characters can remain in their desired language and communicate during combat without being forced to switch to 'Common' to prevent those translations getting lost in the combat log.

Amendment to OP:
Could also enable language what when activated by the [u] ______ command, the default chat of /speak, /whisper, /yell uses the language without the need of the preface [
Last edited by Krivoklat on Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Postby Loreweaver » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:40 am

Not that I'm aware of, though there may exist some nwnx functionality to allow it.
Normal chat is visible to all players in the area, where combat logs are individual. As a consequence, translated text in the chat window would be translated for everyone.

Krivoklat

Postby Krivoklat » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:57 am

[quote=Loreweaver post_id=9820 time=1603258807 user_id=49]
Normal chat is visible to all players in the area, where combat logs are individual. As a consequence, translated text in the chat window would be translated for everyone.
[/quote]

I should clarify, my suggestion is less about who gets the translation and more about where the translation shows up.

Currently, I use split windows. one window (left) handles all my dialogue, emotes, etc... and the right window is all server messages, combat info, etc.. etc.. (I think this is pretty common) -I am not one of those "all in one window" users.

When I use a language, the untranslated text of the actual language shows up in my left window. and the translation of what I said shows up in my right window.

Same thing for you, if your character responds in that language... the cool looking foreign language shows up in my left window along with all the other conversation stuff.. and the translation shows up in my right window with all my combat log and stuff.

this is no problem if I am sitting on a bench for an hour in the Sershal Square.

Now.. lets say, I go adventuring with someone... and in 30 min... I want to scroll up to re-read the conversation that happened in the Sershal Square. Luckily all the 'COMMON" language is right there for me to read.. but when I get to the elven sentences... I don't see what was said.. I see the elven. And... I don't want to see the elven.. I want to see what was said... I spoke in Elven specifically so I could speak in elven, but I still WANT TO KNOW both what was said to me.. and what I said... and this information is either severely disconnected from the conversation because it is lost in my combat log.. or it has disappeared altogether from my combat log because in the previousd 30-min... The 8 goblins we killed together generated enough combat rolls to push that translated text out of my log.

And so that conversation that we had in elvish is gone for me.

:::: suggestion :::::

when elvish (or whatever) is activated... I (1) should not have to preface speaking in elvish with the [ before my line of text because I already told the engine I want to speak in elven by entering the console command [U] Elven. So now.. everything I type should be in elven... and I should have to use [ to tell the engine that I wish to switch back to common .

and (2) the transltated text of the Elven should appears in my LEFT window... completely in line and intermixed with the common so that the record of what was said regardless of the language it was spoken in... is intact.

--So.. for ME... the actual elven words gets pushed to my combat log and the TRANSLATED text appears in my chat log.

BUT.. for Horatio Human, who doesn't speak Elven... Horatio gets only the ELVEN in his chat window... because Horatio does not speak elven, and therefore does not get the translated text.

it was THIS part that I was referring to that some folk would have ELVEN show up in their chat window, while people who speak it get the TRANSLTATED text in their chat window.. and the ELVEN in their combat log.

*phew* Sorry for the wall of text. Does this properly lay out the suggestion?

I felt like your response didn't indicate that I was clear in my first post...

Anyhow, that's my suggestion in a more lengthy form.

Krivoklat

Postby Krivoklat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:56 pm

maybe a simple code could be added that toggles between normal (as it is now) and the inverse, where you select a language and the dafault it so use the language and only with the [ to type in common... and you could chose to activate or disable this option through a command.