Allow Bards to be Lawful!

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Talisman
Builder

Allow Bards to be Lawful!

Postby Talisman » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:23 pm

In the spirit of the recent suggestions, here's one that I've had on my mind recently:

Why are Bards restricted against being lawful? It feels like 3.5ed is arbitrarily making bard less broad than it reasonably should be. I can think of a number of lawful bardic concepts and I know others could come up with more. For instance:
  • A Triadic Bard that recounts the tales and histories of the various Triadic Paladin Orders through ballads, or orchestrates prayer hymns
  • Sun Elves have lots of lawful bards that act as lore-masters for the Elven race, whom perform somber songs meant to capture High Elven history
  • Or maybe just any artist that prefers to live by the laws of society. It doesn't have to be a grand concept at all. For instance, Impilturians tend to be Lawful Good.. Why are Bards born and raised in a LG society all relegated to being chaotic leaning deviants? Is there some summer camp they attend that brain-washes them away from their society's norms?
Also, I don't think there is a great danger to the mechanics of opening them up to lawful. I would love to be able to roll a Bard/Paladin of Milil (Is kind of where this whole thought came from at first!), but it's unlikely to break the balance compared to other more powerful builds that are currently legal.

Aethereal
Administrator, Builder, DM

Re: Allow Bards to be Lawful!

Postby Aethereal » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:37 pm

Lawful as a bard alignment makes sense for a lore-focused bard to me, and lore-mastery is part of what bards are most well known for (Bardic Knowledge, anyone?) On that note, fun fact: lore and law are cognates.