New Summoning Theme: Spirits

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Aethereal
Administrator, Builder, DM

New Summoning Theme: Spirits

Postby Aethereal » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:44 pm

Going through the summoning themes, and only recently learning of the semi-hidden Triadic theme, I am very surprised that there was no 'spirit' summoning theme, especially since there is a Spirit Caller prestige class (PrC).

I think a summoning theme that allows the conjuration of spirits would be perfect for any Spirit Caller concept, both as a theme granted upon taking the PrC but also for aspiring Spirit Callers (lower level) and potentially necromancers. Of course for the necromancers it may have a more evil bent if they are enslaving them whereas for psychopomps/Rashemi/neutral casters it is more about tuning into the spirits already present in the world or that of the supernatural planes (astral or ethereal) that lie beyond the perception of most.

Loreweaver
Administrator & Builder

Re: New Summoning Theme: Spirits

Postby Loreweaver » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 pm

The undead summons traditionally have their own summoning spells, such as Animate Dead. That's more or less the reason why there's no such theme. The Triadic and daemonic themes would normally be linked to their own series too (Planar Binding), but because that doesn't start until 5th level magics those aren't relevant for our level cap.

Kerstman

Postby Kerstman » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:31 pm

I think adding the spirit summons to any caster class makes the Spirit Caller PrC much less unique. For the same reason I think it's a good decision to not have Great Draw available for rangers, as it makes the Wild Shot unique.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Aethereal
Administrator, Builder, DM

Postby Aethereal » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:11 am

Fair input. I suppose as far as the idea goes it would mostly exist to support the class fantasy of the Spirit Caller PrC so as to let them stick to the concept with their Summon Creature line of spells as well.