Wail of the Fallen

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Poisonous

Wail of the Fallen

Postby Poisonous » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:23 am

Apologies for another suggestion which relates only to us few Spirit Caller players, but hey, I get ideas when I play something!

I noticed that Wail of the Fallen, despite (presumably) being a 1x a day ability and requiring 3 levels into a PrC, has a pretty easy DC.
Specifics: The Spirit Caller can unleash a Howl which causes Fear in all enemies. The DC is equal to 10 + 1 per 4 character levels. The Fear effect lasts 1 round + 1 per 4 character levels.
The only possible DCs are 11, and then a level later it raises to 12. The way the DC is calculated doesn't leave much room for differences and makes the calculation seem unnecessary. Both of these are very low, as well as being uninteresting in terms of progression. The same goes for the duration.

I propose that the DC and/or effect time adds Charisma modifiers or Intimidation in some way (for example in the same way that bard songs use Perform), to make the feat more useful and interesting.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

SpiralBright

Re: Wail of the Fallen

Postby SpiralBright » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:43 pm

Not necessarily in support or opposition to the suggestion, but I will bring up that Sword Leader's Instill Fear and how different it is is from Wail of the Fallen. One difference may be that Wail of the Fallen is bonus feat with one time use and done while Instill Fear comes with Sword Leader at 3rd level and is an aura but lasts for longer time even if it can only affect a target once.
Once per day, the Sword Leader may activate a Fear aura lasting 5 turns. Hostile creatures must roll a Will save (DC 10 + CHA + Sword Leader level) or be Frightened for d4 + CHA rounds. Creatures who pass their Will save cannot be affected by this ability again
Ryldor Werther of Dilpur, Lord Helimbraun's Warsword
Hashard Kurant Vhelacleln, Triadic Priest of House Essldyr
Mill Marsby, poet and playwright.

Cardano Marl Sal Polani, Mercenary Fighter of The Stalwart Guard (Retired)

Poisonous

Postby Poisonous » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:52 am

SpiralBright wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:43 pm
Not necessarily in support or opposition to the suggestion, but I will bring up that Sword Leader's Instill Fear and how different it is is from Wail of the Fallen. One difference may be that Wail of the Fallen is bonus feat with one time use and done while Instill Fear comes with Sword Leader at 3rd level and is an aura but lasts for longer time even if it can only affect a target once.
Once per day, the Sword Leader may activate a Fear aura lasting 5 turns. Hostile creatures must roll a Will save (DC 10 + CHA + Sword Leader level) or be Frightened for d4 + CHA rounds. Creatures who pass their Will save cannot be affected by this ability again
I would be happy seeing a DC that matches the Instill Fear in design. 10 + CHA + SC levels. I feel that would make the ability worth taking rather than essentially a dumped feat.

Speaking personally, it broke my heart passing up this feat as I felt its DC meant it would never actually cause a visible effect in-game.
Mother Kelda Adler, priestess of The Crying God, wife, sister, mother. [Retired: old posts here and here]
Manishie, wanderer and songbird. Not a fan of sausage. Typically in Songhall, Sayildi's, or wandering...

Talisman
Builder

Postby Talisman » Wed May 04, 2022 6:20 pm

I can get behind this, speaking as a player. CHA probably works best for covering sorcerer, bard, and priest to a degree.