Healing Kits: Need to be rebalanced?

Share an idea or post some constructive criticism for the server.
Kerstman

Re: Healing Kits: Need to be rebalanced?

Postby Kerstman » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:25 am

The healing kits were never supposed to be used in a combat situation. Also I don't agree with the hypothesis that they are extremely rare in loot. Sure, you may find more potions, but my PC's find a kit every 2 dungeon runs I dare say. Plenty of times a kit with a nice little modifier added to it too. As pointed out before, context surely is important and it's best to not compare apples with oranges too much.

I'd like to present two case studies which are there in my vault. Both have their heal skills maxed out and they happily use the heal skill rather than another skill for it. Not a huge sacrifice for either of them. They don't use any skill focus for the heal skill. Both of them use an easily available and affordable amulet that provides a +1 bonus to the heal skill. I compare only with the Cure Minor Wounds potion as that is the best option when you want to use potions for healing for the least amount of money. Not taking in account the revitalizing tincture. I don't consider the Cure Light Wounds potion as far too often I hit a disappointing number of hit points healed. Still, even when always healing 10 hp it won't be more bang for buck than the kit for these two case studies. The better options in the heat of a combat situation? Surely, though also more costly.

Regarding the point of the healing process when using a kit being disturbed: in my opinion it's always the fault of the player or the party when that happens. I don't consider it a huge downside of the kits. Sure I've had it happen and it has been rp'd out. Just as my kit users always ask for a few moments when they tend to their bleeding limbs. If someone in the group complains about the duration of that process they are quick to suggest them to walk on the front line.

Aleks
L8 Barbarian
Heal skill modifier: 14 (including +2 from WIS and +1 from the amulet)
Hit point pool: 112
Coin pouch: 25473

Purchase prices:
Healing kit: 81
Cure minor wounds potion: 24
Revitalizing tincture: 57

With an average of 10,5 for a heal roll that means the following for using a +0 kit. I'll assume an average of 10, for easier calculus.
- Kit on self: 10+14-2(for using on self) = on average 22 hp per use of a healing kit.
- For the kit that means 3.68 cp per hp to heal
- For the CMW potion (4 hp) that is 6 cp per hp to heal
- For the revitalizing tincture (10) that is 5.7 cp per hp to heal

Conclusion: while ofcourse always depending on the situation the healing kit is for Aleks the most bang for buck. Even more so when used on others in the party.

Gaspar
L6 Fighter
Heal skill modifier: 10 (including 0 from WIS, +1 from the amulet)
Hit point pool: 72
Coin pouch: 11306
Purchase prices:
Healing kit: 81
Cure minor wounds potion: 24
Revitalizing tincture: 57

Again I'm assuming 10 for an average heal roll with using a simple +0 kit.
- Kit on self: 10+10-2(for using on self) = on average 18 hp per use of a healing kit.
- For the kit that means 4.5 cp per hp to heal
- For the CMW potion (4 hp) that is 6 cp per hp to heal
- For the revitalizing tincture (10) that is 5.7 cp per hp to heal

Conclusion: for a lower level and less optimal build as a healer still the kit comes out as a winner. As long as the person in question ofcourse is not getting pummeled in combat.

=x=x=x=x=x=x=

Final considerations:
- Both PC's apart from kits have plenty of healing potions in their inventories. Ofcourse they don't rely only on kits. My warriors are smart and experienced enough to know it's good to be flexible with healing options.
- Both have sizeable HP pools. Ofcourse it's not much use using a kit on a 10 hp character. In their early days (levels 1-3) they relied much more on potions. Simply because their heal skill as well as their HP pool was much lower.
Mains
Fenneken : Obscure arcanist
Leopold Thunersdai : Damaran Tempurian
Aleks : Rashemi barbie

Alts
Unger mac Rotu : Earthfast tunnel recon dwarf
Badger: Mute hin archer

Krivoklat

Re: Healing Kits: Need to be rebalanced?

Postby Krivoklat » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:51 pm

Ok, I just skimmed this, so sorry to come late, and even sorrier to re-hash things already meantioned that I didn't catch in my skim.

I agree with the main point that heal kits could use a re-balance.

I also support the argument you can't compare Heal Kits to potions or tonics. -- mainly because as Bestbardna mentioned above, they don't work in combat because the healing stops as soon as you take damage.

If anything, what I would like to see is some sort of way someone who invests in the HEAL skill... maybe even with a FEAT.. is opened up to being able to CRAFT a heal kit in the same way a trap is crafted. --that would enable PC's who choose to RP a dedicated healer can .. with the investment of a feat.. unlock the ability to make heal kits, which in itself offsets those 55gp costs of the Healkit+1 that are purchasable.

There comes a point in adventuring above level 4, where power-built characters can mow through dungeons amassing immense wealth, and then stockpiling healing is nothing to them.

really, it comes down to access of healing to the poor characters who are more just starting out.

perhaps something could also be added, Herbs that grow in the wild that can restore HP or cure poisoin but it's use is limited to a cooldown.. and once 'picked' have a timer before they wilt and lose their effectiveness. --that way, you can go out and hunt for some healing in the wilds, and use it then and there, but it's not something you can build a stock of in your inventory.
Zokaan (Dr); Sevin (Ra) ; Mercuria (Pa) ; Mister Web (Ro): Kodiak (SC)

Unit of beauty required to launch 1 ship = 1 millihelen